Breakfast or Lunch, Enjoy Your Veggies!
Sweet potatoes find their way onto your breakfast plate with this Vegan Sweet Potato Veggie Casserole. Starting your day with a hearty meal might help more than your good mood. Indeed, this low glycemic meal might help stabilize your blood sugar. Additionally, it provides a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Why sweet potatoes instead of white? <nutrition facts> Of course, you may choose to use white potatoes of your choice. However sweet potatoes offer a healthier choice for diabetics. In fact, they boast high nutrition in a low-glycemic package. And most vegetables and greens fall on the low glycemic index, as well.
As with our other recipes, please follow your own preferences. Recipes should be viewed as guidelines, a template for your own creativity. Of course, you need to consider the nutrition levels as you add, subtract, or replace ingredients. However, creating your unique meal using our Vegan Sweet Potato Veggie Casserole Recipe offers fun and flavors!
And now, our recipe!
Vegan Sweet Potato Veggie Casserole
If planning to bake, please preheat oven to 325°
- 2 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 2 T vegan beef flavored powder
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 T each:
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, red or green or a mixture
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 3 cups total vegetables, your choice of
- green beans, cut
- green peas
- broccoli, diced
- cauliflower, diced
- 16 ounces baby spinach or kale (leaves, not kale stems)
To Prepare in oven:
Time-saving tip: prepare the ingredients the night before. In the morning, assemble the casserole and bake. Your breakfast bakes while you get yourself ready for the day!
- Blend the powder and water together
- Add thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
- In a large glass baking pan, add remaining ingredients except spinach or kale.
- Pour broth mixture over vegetables.
- Bake about 25 minutes at 325°, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in spinach or kale.
- Bake an additional 5-10 minutes to lightly cook greens.
Slow Cooker variation:
Probably the easiest way to enjoy our Vegan Sweet Potato Veggie Casserole! In fact, you might decide to put everything except the greens in your slow cooker at night. Set it on low. Then, in the morning, add the greens and cook for a few more minutes. Easy, delicious, and full of nutrition!
- Prepare as in oven directions.
- Cook on high for 1 hour or low for 3-4 hours.
- Again, add greens for last few minutes only.
We recommend using your oven or slow cooker for easiest and healthiest preparation of our Vegan Sweet Potato Veggie Casserole. However, you may choose to use a skillet. For this method, follow this procedure:
- Mix broth powder with seasonings, as in oven directions.
- Sauté potatoes, onions, and garlic in the broth until potatoes are nearly tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for greens.
- Saut é until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add greens and continue cooking until greens are wilted. However, do not overcook the greens as they become bitter and lose nutritional value.
As always, we encourage you to use vegetables currently in season in your area. Also, choose your favorites. However, you might include nutritious vegetables not normally eaten in your home for extra variety.
More Recipes at: Vegan Globetrotter